Welcome to my new website
1) In July we will host the 5th Edition of the Virtual Archeology School, which aims at giving a detailed overview on some important topics in the field of Digital Archeology. We tried to keep the costs as low as possible, Pisa is a very nice venue, think about it and tell it to your friends/students
2) In June, we will also host CGLibs , an event related to the Eurographics Italian Chapter, where several smart (open source) libraries will be presented. There's also a call for posters and best student theses, check it out!
3) In October there will be the first edition of Digital Heritage, which federates a number of events related to cultural heritage and technology. The aim is to create a strong event, with lots of people attending. Deadline for submission: 16th June.
Ah, I also started the new edition of the University course in Pisa, I'm updating a bit the slides and the datasets.
1) Among the newly accepted papers, there's one I'd like to point, which is a method for Fully automatic image registration, published on International Journal of Computer Vision. The good thing is that it's already partially implemented in MeshLab (only SVN version), and it could be useful for a variety of applications.
2) Our Laboratory has been partially reorganized and three main topics of research have been found. This won't change a lot because we will keep on working in the old way (strong collaboration and "cross-fertilization" among all the people in the lab). The new VCG website shows this. I was made responsible for the "3D graphics for Cultural Heritage" section. It's an essentially honorary charge, but I'm happy about this.
3) Following the last release of MeshLab, I re-started posting new video-tutorials on MeshLab, on the corresponding Youtube channel. The goal is to release a new tutorial every wednesday, covering first of all the new color projection pipeline.
A visit to Brazil
ISTI-CNR Young researcher award 2011
6th March 2012
2012 Edition of 3D Graphics Course
Spotlight on the Flow
A seminar on 3D for Cultural Heritage
Another recent visitor map
A book on Digital Imaging for CH
2nd August 2011
Visit to Vancouver
15th-22nd July 2011
Deadline: 5th July 2011
Please find here the Call for Papers for the 12th Symposium on Virtual reality Archaeology and Cultural Heritage.
I'm one of the organizing Chairs: the Conference will take place in Prato in October. There's the possibility to contribute with Full or Short papers, or propose half or full-day Workshops or Tutorials.
Let me just stress the fact that the best papers will be re-submitted to ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage.
You can contact me for any clarification.
New journal papers
20th May 2011
The first one uses optical flow to improve the quality of color projection from images. This works really fine and we're using it a lot. This is the associated page.
The second one is about the Portalada project, a very complex scanning campaign that brought to very interesting results. You can find it here.
The last one presents a way to use images to complete scanned models, with the aid of a laser diode or projector. On IJCV!.
A new key tutorial
1st April 2011
A Youtube channel for MeshLab Tutorials!
15th March 2011
14th February 2011
A visit to Lund University
31st January - 5th February 2011
It was a nice experience, possibly leading to further collaborations in the future (maybe something in October, stay in touch).
Scanning of Donatello Capital
16-17th December 2010
The object was a bronze capital by Donatello, originally placed on the façade of a Prato church. After the restoration, the plan is to replace the real capital with a bronze copy, so that the original can be preserved in a museum.
In the photo, Frederic, Gianpaolo and Massimiliano during the acquisition.
A recent visitor map
Meet Matteo at eHeritage Workshop 2010
25th October 2010
Meet Matteo at VAST 2010
20th-24th September 2010
DEADLINE EXTENDED Second Workshop on eHeritage and Digital Preservation
25th October 2010
Second Workshop on eHeritage and Digital Preservation
25th October 2010
Please find here the Call for Papers for the second Workshop on Electronic Heritage and Digital Art Preservation. It will be part of the ACM Multimedia Conference in Florence.
The official website is www.imago.ufpr.br/ehw10/ Let me just stress the fact that the best papers will be re-submitted to ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage. You can contact me for any clarification.
Italian School of Virtual Archeology
29th April 2010
6th-9th April 2010
My first MeshLab course
18th-19th March 2010
This was a very nice experience, maybe the solution for the lack of documentation will be the on-site training. It could be also a way to finance the development and maintenance of the software. Ah, the venue of the course was the amazing Palazzo Budini Grifoni Gattai in Florence, the new temporary (?!?) seat of Kunsthistorisches Institut.
Visit to University of Cape Town
24th February - 5th March 2010
The second one is the result from the Research page of this site:
I found that the presence (and size!) of most of the words is correct, to show what I like to work on.