Roberto is a Research Director at CNR-ISTI.
ISTI (in English: Instutute for Computer Science and Technologies) is an Institute of the Italian National Research Council (CNR) located in Pisa, Italy.
Roberto is leading the Visual Computing Lab, a research lab that he contributed to found in mid '80s.
Roberto won a permanent researcher position at CNR-CNUCE in 1986, become Senior Researcher in 1997 and finally Research Director in 2001 at ISTI.
Since 1990 he had joint appointments at the Department of Computer Engineering and at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Pisa, where he taught Computer Graphics courses.
He was Visiting Researcher at the Univ. of Vigo (Spain) and at the Univ. of California at Santa Cruz (USA); he has been invited for short stages, seminars and PhD courses by several other international universities.
Roberto was appointed coordinator of the national research action on Cultural Heritage & ICT (entitled in Italian "Fruizione e Valorizzazione del Patrimonio Culturale"), of the CNR Cultural Heritage Department (2006-2012). Coordinator of the CNR research activity on ICT & Cultural Heritage of the ICT Dept. (2014-2016).
He has been engaged in several research projects (funded by EU and national agencies) concerned with: multiresolution data modeling and rendering, 3D digitization, surface reconstruction, interactive graphics, virtual reality, scientific visualization, 3D fabrication, Cultural Heritage (CH) is the main fields of application for the methodologies and technologies developed.
He published more than two hundred eighty papers in international refereed journals/conferences, including papers in top conferences proceedings (ACM Siggraph, Eurographics, IEEE Viz) and first-rank journals. According to Google Scholar ranking, he has >10K citations and H-Index 47 (June. 2017).
He has given invited talks or tutorials in many international conferences.
A complete list of recent papers is available on the
Visual Computing Lab publications page.
He has been engaged in many research projects (funded by EU, national and regional agencies).
- "CENOBIUM", project financed by Kunsthistorische Institut of the Max Plank Foundation, 2006-2017,
- EC FP7-SEC-2013-1 CP-FP “VASCO: a Virtual Studio for Security Concepts and Operations”, 2014-2017
- EC H2020-INFRADEV- 1-2014- 1 "Parthenos – Pooling Activities, Resources and Tools for Heritage E-research Networking, Optimization and Synergies", 2015-2019
- EC H2020 "ArchAIDE- Archaeological Automatic Interpretation and Documentation of cEramics", 2016-2019
- Regione Toscana "SCIADRO - SCIAme di DROni", 2016-2018
- EC H2020 “EMOTIVE: Emotive virtual cultural experiences through personalized storytelling”, 2016-2019
- CNR, Laboratorio Internazionale CNR-CNRS, progetto approvato su bando del Dip. DIITET, 2017-2019
- EU IST “The Virtual Planet”, IST-2000-28095, 2001-2004
- EU IST “ViHAP3D - Virtual Heritage: 3D High Quality Acquisition and Presentation”, IST-2001-32641, 2002-2005,
- EU IST N.o.E. “EPOCH - a European Research Network on Excellence in Processing Open Cultural Heritage”, IST-2002-507382, 2004-2008,
- EU PASR-2004 “CRIMSON: The Crisis Simulation System’’, 2004-011500, 2004-2007
- EU IST “CROSSMOD: Cross-Modal Perceptual Interaction and Rendering - A New Generation of Audiovisual Virtual Environments”, 2005-2008,
- National Project MIUR “EndoCAS: Center of Excellence on Computed-Aided Surgery”, 2003-2007
- Tuscany Region POR Project “START – Developing technologies for cultural heritage applications” , 2008-2010
- POR Reg Toscana “Visito Tuscany”,
- EU FP7 IST IP “3DCOFORM: Tools and Expertise for 3D Collection Formation”,
grant no. 231809, 2008-2012,
- EU FP7 IST STREP “V-CITY: The Virtual City”,
- EU FP7 Security “INDIGO – Innovative Training and Decision Support for Emergency Operations”,
grant no. 242341 (2010-2013),
- POR Regione Toscana "ArteSalva", 2010-2013
- EC COST "HDRI: the digital capture, storage, transmission and display of real-world lighting ", 2011-2015,
- EC 7thFW NoE "V-Must.Net: Virtual Museum Transnational Network", no. 270404, 2011-2015,
- EC PSP "3DICONS 3D Digitization of Icons of European Architectural and Archaeological Heritage", 2012-2015,
- EC INFRA-2012 "ARIADNE: advanced research infrastructure for archeological dataset networking in Europe", 2013-2016
- EC FET “Harvest4D: Harvesting Dynamic 3D Worlds from Commodity Sensor Clouds”, 2013-2016
Editorial and professional activity
Editor in Chief of the international journal Computer Graphics Forum, Wiley (2002-2010).
Editor in Chief of the ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage (2012-...)
Served as member of Editorial Board of:
- ACM J. on Computers and Cultural Heritage (since 2007)
- The Visual Computer (2001-2007)
- Elsevier J. of Cultural Heritage (since 2010)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Book Series “Geometry and Computing”, Springer-Verlag
He is member of the Eurographics Association (EG); he served as an elected member of the Executive Board of EG (2001-2013), was nominated Deputy Chair (2004-2008) and then General Chair (2009-2010).
Has been member of the IPC of major CG conferences (ACM SIGGRAPH 2004 and 2005, Eurographics annual conference since 1999, among others).
Chaired several first-class events (Eurographics Conf. 1999, ACM/EG SGP 2004, WSCG 2004, EG VAST 2005, Eurographics Conf. 2008, ACM Afrigraph 2010, CAA 2015, Digital Heritage 2015).
Served as expert evaluator for EC, ERC, Enterprise Ireland, Science Foundation of Israel, Austria's FIT-IT Program, French National Research Agency.
Roberto served as a Member of the ERC Panel PE6 of ERC (StG 2011/2013/2016).
- Eurographics “Distinguished Career Award”, 2014, http://www.eg.org/about/awards
- Eurographics “Outstanding Technical Contributions Award”, 2008, http://www.eg.org/about/awards
- “Tartessos Award” by the Spanish Society on Virtual Archeology (SEAV) at the annual conference Archaeologica 2.0, Seville (Spain), June 2011,
- Premio Zeus – International Archeaology Award, Awarded for the category “Technology and Innovation”, Città di Ugento, Lecce (Italy), 15 settembre 2007.
- Best Paper Award 2005 of the International Journal "Computers & Graphics", Vol. 30(6), for the paper published on Vol. 29, no.1, pp 125-133.
- Second Best Paper Award, Eurographics 2003 Conference, for the paper: “BDAM – Batched Dynamic Adaptive Meshes for High Performance Terrain Visualization”.
- Best Paper Award 2000, Computer & Graphics Journal, Elsevier - Pergamon Press, Vol. 25(6), pp.III-V, for the paper published on Vol.24, no. 3, May 2000, pp.399-418.
- Second Best Paper Award (and Best Student Paper awarded to co-author M. Tarini), Eurographics 2000, for the paper: “Real Time, Accurate, Multi-Featured Rendering of Bump Mapped Surfaces”.
- Second Best Paper Award 1998, Journal Computer & Graphics (Elsevier - Pergamon Press), Dec. 1999, Vol. 24(1), pp.3-4, for the paper published on Vol. 22(1), 1998, pp. 37-54 and the tools developed.